Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Steamship Arabic

Steamship Arabic

Welcome, old Arabic, again
The ties which still do bind thee here
Shall be, for many a coming year,
Thy truest, strongest anchor chain.

The flag thou bearest ne'er turns pale,
The crimson flag which rules the wave,
And God, who all that power gave,
Save thee from traitor, rock and gale.

I look with envy though and cry,
"Would that the county of my birth
Could claim a ship of equal worth,"
Proud then, by right, indeed were I.

And when I gaze at thy fair form,
I pray that in the nearing time,
Ships, fair as thee, in every clime
Beneath my flag shall brave the storm.

I pray some ship, as thee divine,
Beneath my Stars and Stripes may be
Thy sister queen, and every sea
Shall know but thy loved flag and mine.

Now welcome to my home again,
And to my arms and to my heart.
Then when thy duty bids depart,
May fortune at thy helm remain.
 
Charles A. Gunnison

No comments:

Post a Comment